Sunday, December 13, 2009

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 1 - Snowball Cookies



Ok, so it's been officially a year since I've updated this blog. I wish I had been better at making sure it was current. Adding this recipe is giving me the "warmies" though and makes me want to be more consistent. Wish me luck!

I decided this year that I wanted to do something different with my kids around Christmas time. I get 4 or 5 recipes a day through my email where different sites do a countdown to Christmas using cookie recipes. So I thought this would be the perfect thing that I could do with them that would get them involved and get them baking with me. I hope to be able to keep this a holiday tradition from now on.

This recipe was really simple and was perfect to have your kids help you with. One can chop the pecans, one can add the ingredients and a few can roll the dough into balls. Make sure to do two coatings of the powdered sugar as stated in the recipe.

Snowball Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 teas. vanilla extract
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. In a large mixer bowl combine all ingredients except powdered sugar. Beat at low speed until well mixed. (Dough will look crumbly, but will pull together once the dough is rolled into balls.)

Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1-inch balls. Place one inch apart on baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes until very lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes and roll in powdered sugar while still somewhat warm and again when completely cool. Makes approx. 3 dozen cookies.

(recipe from Land o'Lakes Favorite Holiday Cookies book)

No comments: