Tuesday, December 15, 2009

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 3 - Peppermint Pinwheels




First off, let me just say, I was so excited to try out these cookies since I love me anything peppermint. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed in this recipe. I guess that's what I get for using a recipe that was in a holiday recipe book that I purchased about 10+ years ago. My first clue that it wasn't going to be all that good, was that the recipe didn't even have a spec of peppermint in it. WHAT? No peppermint? I believe it's called "Peppermint Pinwheels", right? Anyways, the recipe actually called for almond extract. OK, whatever...I thought maybe they knew something that I didn't. So I went with it, I made the recipe as instructed. The recipe itself wasn't so bad as far as the consistency and ease of the recipe. But it wasn't until the end that I realized the only peppermint I was going to find in this recipe was the crushed candy canes I put on top of the glaze. (Sad!)

So with this post today, I am including a recipe that was not the original recipe I used, but another one that I found from one of my favorite websites, Allrecipes.com (which is where I should have gone to in the first place). Just be forewarned that I have never tried this recipe that I'm giving you below, but I after looking at I believe it's a great substitute. Could it be that it actually has peppermint extract in it??? Please let me know if you try this recipe out, I would love to hear about it's results.

Peppermint Pinwheels
adapted from: Allrecipes.com

3/4 cup butter, softened (no margarine)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teas. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. peppermint extract
1/2 teas. red food coloring

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half; add peppermint extract and red food coloring to one portion.

On a work surface, roll out each portion of dough between wax paper into 16" x 10" rectangle. Remove one side of waxed paper. Place red rectangle over plain rectangle; roll up tightly jellyroll style, starting with a long side. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or until firm.

Unwrap the dough and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets or lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 F degrees for 12-14 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

NOTE: If you want more of a peppermint flavor or even a more decorated, fancier cookie. Try adding the glaze recipe from the original recipe I used and top with some crushed candy canes.

Icing:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbls. corn syrup
3 1/2 teas. warm water
5 or 6 peppermint candy canes, finely crushed

Combine in a small bowl and spread over cooled cookies. And top with crushed candy canes.

No comments: