Monday, December 22, 2008

Julie's Irresistible Pecan Pie

Not a pecan pie fan? Well maybe you need to reconsider. This recipe has been a work in progress over the years and last year it finally became perfected. So I'm proud to say that I've had people tell me that they've hated pecan pie until they've had mine. I hope that you will try to make this pie and give pecan pie a whirl...it's my most favorite pie ever!

Julie's Irresistible Pecan Pie

Crust:
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
½ cup butter, chilled
4 tablespoons ice water (OR a prepared store bought 9” pie shell)

In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and white sugar. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually sprinkle the water over the dry mixture, stirring until dough starts to come together. Then, using one hand, squeeze dough together until it forms a nice ball. Remove to countertop and shape into a 5” flat disc. Remember not to handle the dough too much or you will start melting the butter. Cover dough in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. Just until pie mixture is made.

Pie:
3 eggs
1 cup corn syrup
1 ½ tablespoons molasses
¾ cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 pinch salt
1 ½ - 2 cups pecans, chopped

In another medium bowl, combine first 6 ingredients, add pecans and thoroughly combine. Set aside.

Remove pie crust and lightly flour countertop surface, roll crust dough out into a large circle, place into ungreased pie plate. Remove extra dough and crimp using two fingers and thumb. Re-stir pie mixture and pour into pie plate. Place pie into a preheated 350 F degree oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Be careful and watch crust so that it doesn’t burn. Place strips of tin foil around edges if crust starts to get too dark. Let pie cool completely before serving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, I thought this was your secret recipe! I feel so honored to have this recipe. This is one of your claim to fames! Thanks for sharing Julie. I just might make this over the holidays.

Anonymous said...

I had Julies pecan pie at a pie party recently and it is incredible. as good as any pecan pie I have ever had and I consider myself somewhat of a pecan pie expert.

Dave