Thursday, December 17, 2009

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 5 - Eggnog Cookies




Are you an Eggnog fan? Do you like to have this unusual drink during the holidays? I myself love at least one cup of eggnog every Christmas. Although when I have it, I must add extra milk to it. I think it's a texture thing for me.

When I was searching for my next cookie to make. I came across this recipe for Eggnog Cookies? What? Really? I had never heard of such a recipe before. So from then on I was intrigued! I knew I had to make them. And I must say that I was completely surprised by it's results. It isn't a heavy flavored recipe, but it has a nice, mild eggnog flavor to it. The frosting on top is what makes the whole cookie. Don't be afraid of the eggnog this year, give these cookies a try...you'll be equally amazed as I was. And please note, that when making this recipe, the dough will appear a little on the sticky side. This is normal and will still bake properly. If you decide you want more of the eggnog flavor then feel free to add more eggnog to the dough, but remember the more liquid you add, the more flour you'll need to add also. The temperature of the oven and the baking time are both correct.

Eggnog Cookies

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. ground nutmeg
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup eggnog
1 teas. vanilla extract
2 egg yolks

Preheat oven to 300 F degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a small bowl, add flour, baking powder and nutmeg and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl cream together sugar and butter until light. Add eggnog, vanilla and egg yolks; beat at medium speed with a mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until thoroughly mixed. Do not overmix.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet 1-inch apart. Bake for 20-23 minutes until bottoms turn light brown. Cookie will appear to have a soft, pillowy texture to it. Let cookie cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Drizzle completely cooled cookies with icing and sprinkle a dash of nutmeg on top. Makes approx. 24-30 cookies depending on size.

Icing:

1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tbls. eggnog egg
1/4 teas. ground nutmeg
Extra ground nutmeg for sprinkling

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stir until smooth. Drizzle icing on tops of cookies, and add a dash of ground nutmeg on top.

No comments: