Monday, December 21, 2009

12 Days of Christmas Cookies: Day 9 - Frosted Sugar Cookies





I absolutely looooove frosted sugar cookies! I can honestly say they're my favorite cookie of all time. In fact, I love frosted sugar cookies so much that I perfected my own recipe one year. Then the following year I decided to try out my recipe at our local county fair. Well, let's just say it received the prized blue ribbon... I was so excited! So yes, people, my frosted sugar cookie recipe won a blue ribbon at the county fair. What a huge accomplishment.

Unfortunately, for you all...I won't be giving you the recipe today or ever actually! I've never given out the recipe to anyone. So don't take it personal! I decided to do this because someday I might want to open up my own bakery and would love to have this as one of my signature cookies. But, what I WILL be posting is another recipe that I've really enjoyed using when I'm in a hurry because there's no refrigeration involved like most recipes do...including my own!

This recipe was brought home earlier in the year by my oldest daughter from a Young Women's activity. I need to give credit where credit is due, so thank you Marcy for this recipe. And no one says you have to use this recipe, obviously if you have a recipe that you love to use then by all means use it. Just get yourself and your kids in the kitchen baking with you...they'll love it!

Frosted Sugar Cookies

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teas. vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
2 teas. baking soda
1 teas. salt
6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.

In a large mixing bowl; cream shortening and sugar together until smooth. Add egg and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together and gradually add to butter mixture. Finally, add sour cream and mix until thoroughly combined. Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick. Cut using your choice of cookie cutters. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cool completely before frosting and decorating. Makes approx. 4-5 dozen cookies depending on size of cookie.

Buttercream frosting

1 lb. powdered sugar (approx. 4+ cups)
1/4 cup milk
1 teas. vanilla extract
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
Food coloring of choice
Sprinkles
Candies

Beat with electric mixer for 2 minutes, scraping bowl often. For thinner consistency add milk a little at a time. Or for a thicker frosting add a few tablespoons of powdered sugar until you reach desired consistency. Add food coloring at this time.

No comments: