Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Essential Chewy Oatmeal Cookie

This cookie was absolutely amazing! The flavor reminded me of something you could enjoy during the Fall season. I got the recipe from a cookbook my mother in-law had called The Best of the Best. I think it was the best oatmeal cookies I've had in a long time. It held true to it's name. I hope you'll try them!

Before I give you the recipe, I need to comment on the ingredients first. First off, I replaced most of the shortening with a 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce. Second, I don't understand why it needed corn syrup and milk? If you understand some of the science of baking, you would know what I'm talking about. Those items are added for moisture, which you need to soften the oatmeal, but with the extra applesauce I felt it was a waste of ingredients. So I will leave adding those to your recipe up to you. I personally didn't think it needed it. But on the other hand, I know corn syrup can help with chewiness which is why I loved this recipe. Ah, what the heck, just add all the ingredients it asks for except try cutting back on the butters with the applesauce. It sure was a yummy cookie! And finally, it also states at the end of the recipe to lightly grease your baking sheet. If you are using a metal one, then you will need to do this step or line it with some parchment paper. I used my baking stone and it had a slight resistance when I removed them with my spatula (a good thing from a well seasoned stone). So on with the recipe:

The Essential Chewy Oatmeal Cookie

1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1/2 sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 teas. vanilla extract
1/4 teas. almond extract
3/4 teas. cinnamon
1/8 teas. ground cloves
1/4 teas. nutmeg
1 teas. salt
1 teas. baking soda
1 large egg
6 tbls. corn syrup
2 tbls. milk
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. raisins
1 c. chopped pecans/walnuts
3 cup old fashioned oats

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease baking sheet; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugars until smooth. Add in vanilla and almond extracts and spices, salt and baking soda. Beat in egg, corn syrup and milk. Add in flour, raisins, nuts and oats. Thoroughly combine, scoop onto baking sheet and bake for 11-13 minutes (depending on oven) until golden brown. Let cool for 2 minutes and then remove from baking sheet onto a cooling rack. Makes approx. 30-40 cookies depending on size.

No comments: