Saturday, August 2, 2008

Crockpot 10 Garlic clove Chicken

This recipe was inspired by another recipe that I recently saw on an online website a few months ago. The original recipe was for 40 cloves of garlic (yes, you read that right) but I was too lazy and in a hurry (church) to take time to print it off. So I was trying to remember the recipe off the top of my head as I was putting it together. I didn't have all of the exact ingredients so I used what I had and this is what I came up with. I'm sure the ingredients aren't anywhere close to the other recipe and I forgot to add the sauteed mushrooms on top before I took this picture. Just noticed that detail as I was uploading it. Don't be afraid of the garlic...it really was a yummy and flavorful dish.

Crockpot 10 Garlic Clove Chicken
5 chicken breasts, cut into 2" big chunks
10 garlic cloves, minced
2 teas. Italian seasoning
1 teas. salt
1/2 teas. ground pepper
1/3 c. olive oil
1 (14 oz.) can of chicken broth
1 can of condensed Cream of Celery soup
1 can of condensed Golden Mushroom soup
2 tbls. of cornstarch (dissolved in 1/4 c. cold water)
2-3 c. of sliced mushrooms, sauteed
Cooked rice

In a small bowl combine, olive oil, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and stir together. The mixture will resemble an oily paste. Pour this mixture over cut up chicken, toss to coat and place into a crock pot/slow cooker. Pour cream of celery soup and 1/2 of the can of chicken broth into the crock pot. There's no need to dilute the soup because of the moisture that will be created from the crock pot. Place the lid on and turn setting on High and let it cook 3-4 hours.

Turn off crock pot. (This is usually a good time to begin cooking your rice). In a medium sized bowl, remove chicken from liquid and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan or large deep skillet pour the chicken drippings from the crock pot into the pan. Add in remaining chicken broth and stir into liquid the dissolved cornstarch. The heat will start to thicken and create a sauce. Add in golden mushroom soup. Stir to combine. Once the sauce is heated through, take the chicken chunks and shred using your fingers and place into sauce. Add enough chicken until there is an equal chicken/sauce ratio. I ended up with about 5-6 chunks leftover. Which I used for another meal that week. Make sure the sauce isn't too thick. You can add a little milk or water to it if it is. If it's too runny, add one teaspoon of cornstarch at a time until it is the right consistency. Once the sauce is too your liking, turn off heat and set aside.

Saute sliced mushrooms in another pan using more olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Once the mushrooms and rice have cooked, plate this dish up, baby! Put rice on plate, pour chicken sauce over top and pile a spoonful of mushrooms on top. Serve warm with a side of salad and bread/rolls. Yummy! Enjoy!

No comments: