Saturday, August 23, 2008

Beef Taco Squares

I found this recipe online when I was looking for something different to make using ground beef. I think it turned out quite yummy and each of my kids liked it. They approved of me making this again in the future. This recipe reminded me of meat pockets without the sides being sealed off. We topped our servings off with the typical taco toppings: lettuce, salsa and sour cream. The meat mixture already had plenty of cheese so we didn't add more on top but you could if you wanted to. I usually like olives with my beef tacos and forgot to add them to this dish this time. I will have to remember them for next time. The recipe also called for chili sauce to be added to the meat. I didn't have any so I left it out. After tasting it I couldn't understand why it needed it??? There was plenty of flavoring as is.

Beef Taco Squares

2 (8-ounce) cans crescent rolls, divided
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 small onion, minced
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup chili sauce (optional)
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Toppings: sour cream, salsa, lettuce, olives

Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.

Unroll 1 can crescent rolls, and press into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in cheese and next 6 ingredients; spoon over first layer of baked crust.

Unroll remaining can of crescent rolls, and shape into a rectangle, pressing perforations to seal. Arrange over beef mixture. Press up to edges.

Bake again at 375 F degrees for 20 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.

1 comment:

Ira and Jen said...

Hey Julie, We had this for dinner tonight and I was very impressed. It had a great flavor and 2 out of 3 of my kids gobbled it up (one doesn't eat anything though so that is nothing to worry about!:)) We really enjoyed it! I'm sure I'll be making it again in the future...and eating the leftovers for lunch tommorrow! :) Jen