Monday, August 25, 2008

Blueberry Yogurt Cake

I made this cake for my hubby for his birthday this year and realized after I had scanned through some photos that I had not bothered to post the recipe here on my blog. It was so versatile and so yummy that I needed to make sure that other people knew of this fabulous dessert. I found the recipe online and after looking over the recipe I also realized that it can be changed up to whatever flavor of yogurt fits your taste.
Blueberry Yogurt Cake

1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 egg whites
1 container (6 oz) blueberry yogurt (with fruit)
1 container Betty Crocker® Whipped vanilla frosting
1 pint of fresh blueberries
1 jar of all-fruit blueberry jam

Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Generously grease and lightly flour bottoms and sides of two 8-inch or 9-inch round pans, or spray with baking spray with flour.

In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, egg whites and yogurt with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 2 minutes (batter will be lumpy). Pour into pans.

Bake 8-inch rounds 27 to 32 minutes, 9-inch rounds 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Run knife around sides of pans to loosen cakes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

Stir jam to loosen and spread 1/2 cup jam over 1 cake layer to within 1/4 inch of edge. Layer some blueberries over jam. Top with second layer. Frost side and top of cake with frosting. Make frosting dollops in a circle in center of cake. Arrange more blueberries on top and place some around the perimeter of the cake. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.

My favorite Frosting:
1 large tub of Cool Whip
1 small pkg. of White Chocolate instant-pudding mix

Pour pudding mix into Cool Whip and fold until thoroughly combined. Let the frosting sit for about 20 minutes to thicken. Spread on cake.

1 comment:

Ira and Jen said...

Julie, I just wanted you to know how much I LOVE your cooking blog! The recipes look sooo good and I have vowed to try several of them but haven't yet. However, I have printed them and put them with my other recipes so I will buy the stuff I need to make them. This one looks so delicious. My dad loves blueberries so I may have to try this on him someday. Thanks for all your effort in putting it together!! Jen