Friday, August 15, 2008

Debbie's Fresno Tacos

My friend Debbie had us over for dinner a year or two ago and made these yummy tacos. Their not what you would expect to find in a typical taco, but the ingredients really do mesh nicely together. Even my kids liked them and said they wouldn't mind if I wanted to make them again sometime. However, I do need to find out from Debbie where she got the recipe and how they got their name. Maybe she can post a comment and let us all know...???

Debbie's Fresno Tacos

Note: I can't give you the exact amounts to this recipe because this recipe can be so easily adjusted depending on the amount of people you are serving. I will list the ingredients in the amounts I made them and you'll have to be the judge on how much you need for your family. The secret to this recipe is adding as much garlic as you can handle. My husband also used some green salsa verde on his and thought it added just the right amount of flavor. My kids requested shredded cheese, but I think you can use the normal taco toppings and they would still taste great.

1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 can diced potatoes, drained
1/2 head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
Corn tortillas
Oil for frying tortillas

In a large skillet, on medium heat, brown ground beef, drain and return to heat. Add minced garlic and cook until completely flavored. Add potatoes and sliced cabbage. Cook until cabbage is wilted and soft. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan and cook each tortilla until slightly firm but not crunchy. Remove and drain on paper towels. Add meat mixture to taco, fold, add extra toppings and serve.

2 comments:

A Blogging Babcock said...

If you like cabbage you could use more cabbage and less meat. That is probably one of our favorite dinners too.

Debbie Richmond said...

Well the tacos are a HUGE hit at the Fresno Fair, that would be where they got their name. There is literally a line no matter what time of day or night to get these yummy greasy sensations. I am not sure how I got the recipe for them or when. Your recipe is spot on, and the garlic suggestions is perfect, as much as you can handle and then we always have the usual toppings as well. They are yummy aren't they........:)