Friday, May 2, 2008

Julie's almost Rubio's Fish Tacos

Note to self: GET RID OF OLD and UGLY blue plates!

The creation of these fish tacos came about several years ago after my DH (darling husband) and I realized how much we missed eating at our favorite date spot in So. California...Rubio's. Which later became Rubio's Baja Grill. Just about every Saturday we would spend a day at the beach and afterwards head over to Rubio's to fill our sun-drained, starving stomaches (say that 3 times fast). Their tacos were served with refried beans and homemade corn chips. Hmmm...so yummy! It was a nice way to end our day.

Well, 10 or 12 years into our marriage, we realized how much we missed those yummy tacos. And my hunt for the perfect ingredients to make my own began. Since the fish and the salsa is what makes these tacos, I knew they had to be the best. I discovered a frozen, seasoned cod fillet from Costco that was too die for. I actually died when I later found out they discontinued that item. I've since used any white, flakey fish I can find. Cod, Tilapia or halibut works best. A battered fish can be used also, but it tastes extra greasey and rich. And for the salsa, I really love the Wild Coyote brand in the medium heat works best. But as always, any HIGH-end salsa works best. Please don't use Pace or something like that, it's really not what salsa is suppose to taste like. And cook and warm your tortillas up according to how you like them. I use an oil spritzer to spray each tortilla before placing it into a small saute pan to soften them up. Then placed on a paper towel lined plate and covered with tin foil to keep warm.



Julie's almost Rubio's Fish Tacos

Cod fillets (or other white fish)
Corn tortillas
1 cup Wild Coyote Salsa (medium heat)
2-3 tbls. mayonnaise
1 pkg. shredded cabbage
Lime wedges

Cook fish fillets according to package directions. Meanwhile add mayonnaise to salsa and stir to combine; set aside. Cook and warm up tortillas to your liking. Cut limes into wedges; set aside. Build tacos in this order: corn tortilla, lay some of the fish down the middle of tortilla, place some of the salsa mixture over fish, top with some shredded cabbage and squeeze a lime wedge over cabbage. Fold. Eat. Enjoy!

Note: DH likes his taco built in this order: corn tortilla, fish, lime squeezed over fish, cabbage and then salsa. He thinks he tastes the fish better this way. Try it both ways and make your own opinion. And yes, as you can from the photo above...we BOTH can eat 3 tacos easily! Hmmm...yummy!

1 comment:

Alisha said...

OMGosh....I LOVE LOVE LOVE Rubio's fish tacos....I am so excited to try these. I will let you know what I think! Loves to ya!