Saturday, May 24, 2008

Artichoke-Parmesan Crostini

I took this recipe to a potluck the other day and it was a huge hit! It had lots of flavor and was real easy to make. If you haven't noticed on this blog, a lot of my recipes are Italian inspired. This appetizer is just another one of those. I love Italian food! And I love Japanese food too. Well actually...I LOVE FOOD! But I think those types of culinary dishes are my favorite. I think it is for their freshness and simple ingredients that produce lots of flavor.

As I was sitting here thinking about this recipe, I need to add that this recipe can be adjusted so easily to fit whatever amount of people you serve it to, to the ingredients and to the type of bread or cracker you use. Yes, I think a really yummy cracker will work well this mixture too. Did I mention this recipe is a Martha Stewart recipe? If not, it is...it's from her Everyday Food magazine that I absolutely love and look forward to every month. The optional ingredients are my additions. Adjust accordingly to your liking. You may need to add more olive oil and cheese if you add more ingredients. So with that said, here's the recipe:

Artichoke-Parmesan Crostini

1 French baguette (the long, skinny bread)
2 jars of marinated artichokes, drained
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (a good quality kind)
1 tbls. fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbls. olive oil (plus extra for baguette)
a few pinches of salt

Optional additions:
1 medium sized tomato, diced
1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms, cooled and diced

Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.

Slice baguette into 1/2 inch slices and lightly brush (do not dredge) with extra olive oil and put on baking sheet. Lightly salt each piece and toast in the oven for 10-12 minutes, turning over half way through. Remove and cool.

Meanwhile, make topping: drain and dice marinated artichokes, and combine in a bowl with parmesan, parsley and olive oil. Add in any optional ingredients. Stir to combine. Add in more olive oil or cheese, if needed. The oil will help bind the ingredients together. Check for flavor. Using a melon baller, scoop the artichoke mixture onto each slice of baguette. Arrange on platter and serve immediately.

No comments: