Monday, June 2, 2008

Green Chile and Chicken Enchiladas

These enchiladas were quite heavenly. And with very little heat behind them, the kids even ate them. I've seen several different recipes over the years for these, but never actually kept any of them. So I basically put these together using ingredients I thought would be quite tasty. I hope you like them just as much as we did. The only complaint I received from my hubby was, "they were real good, but I would have like some jalapenos on mine". So with that said, you jalapeno lovers out there may want to have a small can on hand for a dinner like this.

Green Chile and Chicken Enchiladas

3 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
1 pkg. corn tortillas
1 jar Herdez brand green Salsa Verde (use 1 cup)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (plus more for top)
1 small can green chiles (or jalapenos)

Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.

Boil chicken breasts in water for 15 minutes or until they are no longer pink inside. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, add 1 cup of Salsa Verde, soup, mayonnaise, cheese and green chiles. If mixture is too dry, add 1/2 cup of sour cream or more Salsa Verde. The mixture should look more creamy than meaty.

Warm package of tortillas in it's plastic bag for 30 seconds in the microwave. Remove and scoop about 1/4 cup of mixture on each tortilla, roll and place in baking dish. Once the baking dish is full, spread any extra mixture over top and more shredded cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and the inside is bubbly. Serve warm with a side salad or Mexican rice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We made these tonight. I used flour tortillas so we could make them bigger. Ryan and I thought they were yummy. My kids, however did not eat them because the pepper jack cheese made them too spicy. Next time I will omit the pepper jack cheese and use cheddar or colby jack instead.