Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Crescent Chicken Roll-ups

I came across this recipe from another website. The recipe couldn't have been yummier! AND I actually got most of my family to eat it...which is always a bonus in our house. The recipe called for chopped walnuts which was an optional ingredient, but I chose to add it to the chicken mixture to try it out. I felt like it was a nice addition as it gave it a light crunchy texture to the roll-ups. Another ingredient that's listed was chopped celery. I didn't have any of that on hand so I of course left it out. We didn't notice the ingredient missing. But I think the next time I make these, I'll add it. I think it will give a good flavor balance to the walnuts and mushrooms. I used a Cream of Chicken and Herbs soup instead of the regular Cream of Chicken. Since it was being used as the gravy, I wanted it to have more flavor than the regular soup. But both flavors are also very good. Also, 2 cans of canned chicken can also be used when you are in a hurry or don't have leftover cooked chicken. Serve with your choice of side dish. A nice, colorful green salad works and looks really good.

Crescent Chicken Roll-ups

6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/8 teas. pepper
2 cups cooked chicken
1 (4 oz.) can of mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup celery, chopped (optional)
2 cans of refrigerated Crescent rolls
1 can Cream of Chicken & Herbs soup
1/2 soup can of milk

Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.

Mix first 7 ingredients. Unroll crescent rolls and flatten them into a more even-shaped triangle. Place 2-3 tbls. of chicken mixture on wide end of each piece of dough. Roll up and place each one in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake until roll-ups turn golden brown and dough looks fully cooked. About 15-20 minutes.

In a small sauce pan, pour in Cream of Chicken & Herbs soup with the milk. Stir to combine and warm until the soup resembles a gravy. Pour over rolls and serve.

2 comments:

A Blogging Babcock said...

I had actually planned on making these tonight for dinner. Great minds think alike! I think I am going to try canned chicken this time, only because we have a lot of it in food storage and we hardly use it. I hope it tastes as good. Fresh is always better. I like how you added nuts and mushrooms. Sounds so yummy.

Anonymous said...

I made these yesterday. I used a rotisserie chicken which made the chicken tender and flavorful. I also used reduced fat crescent rolls and cream cheese and they still tasted delicious. I used all the incredients and chopped the walnuts and celery super fine so my kids wouldn't complain--and they didn't! I also halfed the milk for the sauce and added 1/4 c. fat free half & half instead. It made the sauce real creamy and yummy! Just used regular cream of chicken and it was still great. My kids and Ryan gobbled this up and wanted more. I loved the slight crunch from the walnuts and celery. Since it made 16 roll ups, we had leftovers and they were just as good the next day. A new family fav for sure! Thanks for sharing!