Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken

I sure hope this recipe isn't grossing you out by the looks of this picture. I don't think I could get it to look any better before it was cooked or after. So trust me this really was a simple and tasty recipe done in the crockpot. I used my favoritre new sauce I discovered at Costco earlier this year. I'm sure most of you have seen or even tried it yourself, but I've really come to enjoy the convenience and ease of this sauce and marinade.
I was desperate for a Sunday after church meal and was craving some kind of Asian-type dish. I immediately thought of my bottle of Mr. Yoshida's sauce. So I hurried and cut up some chicken breasts into 2 inch pieces and poured this sauce over it, added some brown sugar, garlic powder, soy sauce and some fresh pineapple chunks I had in the fridge. You can't see them in the picture, but they're in there. I then set the crock pot on High and let it cook while we were at church. The sauce ended up a little watered down so I removed the chicken to a bowl and took about one cup of the sauce from the crockpot. I then poured that sauce over the chicken in the bowl and started to shred the chicken into smaller bites and added another cup of fresh sauce from the bottle. The warmth of the cooked chicken was warm enough to heat up the extra sauce. We ate the cooked chicken on top of steamed rice and some cooked veggies on the side. The whole family loved my dinner that night and was pleased with it's simplicity.

Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken

4-5 chicken breasts, cut into 2" pieces
2-3 cups Mr. Yoshida's Gourmet Sweet & Savory sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teas. garlic powder
1 teas. ground ginger
Fresh or canned pineapple chunks

Put ingredients into crock pot, add lid and simmer on High for 3 hours. Remove chicken and reserve 1 cup of liquid from crockpot. Shred chicken with liquid and the 3rd cup of sauce. Serve over steamed rice and cooked veggies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made this the other night. I am never successful at crockpot chicken. It always tastes too dry and tough. What is the trick to getting crock pot chicken to taste moist? I cooked it on high for three hours like you said. Maybe on low and for a longer time?

I liked the Yoshidas sauce. The brown sugar added was a bit too sweet for us. Next time we will omit the sugar. I don't think it needs soy sauce either because there's already that flavor in the sauce and it seems to water it down like you said. The pineapple and spices were a good addition though.

A Blogging Babcock said...

I made this last night and it turned out really good. The kids all ate it. I started later in the day and had to cook it on a higher temp. Next time I'll start earlier and cook it a little lower. I didn't have the garlic powder but I added fresh garlic. I didn't think it was too sweet though. (But yeah, I'm a sugar addict.)