Friday, April 25, 2008

Green Bean Casserole over Rice

Is Green Bean Casserole one of your favorite foods to eat at Thanksgiving? Well, then you've got to try this kicked-up version for dinner. I must say that this recipe is truly my own creation. And it has been a great, quick fix meal idea for when you're trying to squeeze in dinner. I also need to add that this was one of my recipes demonstrated in my cooking class. So if you never bothered to attend one, then you've just scored yourself a recipe. For those of you who know, I only gave out the copy of the recipe to those in attendance. It was too much for me to keep up on who needs what recipe and so on... My kids have their quirks about this recipe though. So get this: Kaylee has to have it with the green beans plain and set aside before going in the sauce, she likes the sauce to be separated from the rice. Kason won't touch the green beans or the sauce. He wants me to leave some plain ground beef set aside for him. So that he can have the rice and ground beef separate. And Jaynee will eat it all except for the green beans. She used to like them, but has since changed her mind. So in some shape or form my family will eat this recipe. You may also use fresh green beans in place of canned. Just pre-cook them to your liking and cut into bite size pieces before adding to the sauce. I also use the fried onions straight from the can. I never toast them because they are actually crunchier without the toasting process. But always do what you think your family will like.

Green Bean Casserole over Rice

Cooked rice
1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 can green beans
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 tbls. soy sauce
1 soup can of milk
1 can of French's fried onions

Prepare and cook rice while the sauce is being made.

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, drain off fat and keep ground beef in the skillet. Pour in green beans and soy sauce and heat till warmed. Add in can of soup and milk. Stir to thoroughly combine and heat till sauce begins to bubble. Remove from heat and pour sauce over cooked rice. Top each serving with French's fried onions for a nice crunchy topping and extra flavor. Serve with a side of garlic bread or dinner rolls.

Note about photo: I guess I was in a hurry to eat because I forgot to add the fried onions before taking the picture.

4 comments:

Talea Hollingshead said...

Thanks Julie!! This actually looks like something I could make! :) I am just not as talented as you in the kitchen...

A Blogging Babcock said...

I love green bean casserole. How did you do the French fried onions? Did you brown them at all or just put them on top?

Anonymous said...

I have some fresh green beans I want to use. Would I steam them before adding to the meat mixture? This is a good one because these are ingredients I usually have on hand without going to the store.

Anonymous said...

Made this the other night. Kids and husband gobbled it up. If my kids will eat it, then I definately give it a "thumbs up"! Easy and fast to make too, which is always a bonus. I love your blog! I can't believe how much you cook! You are becoming quite the contesure (spelling?).Keep it up, I love every recipe you post girl.