Thursday, April 24, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie

If this recipe doesn't say "comfort food" than I don't know what does. For me and my family this is one type of food we don't make very often. I think because I forget it's an option. My friend, Julie made pot pie one night using another recipe and it made me realize I hadn't made one in a long time. So with my search engine in tow, I went looking for a recipe. I went to my trusty and loyal Allrecipes.com site and found this recipe that had over 1,400 reviews. After making this I can totally see why. For any of you reading this right now... let me just tell you... this is an awesome recipe! There was only one flaw to the recipe and that was it needed a can of cream of chicken soup (undiluted) to it. The sauce was too thin and clear for what I think a chicken pot pie should look like. I think of a chicken pot pie sauce being thick and creamy. So I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did. My kids had their quirks about it though: Kaylee removed the peas and the carrots, Kason removed the peas and Jaynee removed the carrots. Not so bad, right? Oh, and the recipe called for 1/2 cup of celery. We didn't have that (nor did I want it in there anyway) so I added some diced potato to it instead. I will give you the recipe with those options. And the pie crusts are the ones that come rolled up in the refrigerated section. Don't skimp on the brand...buy the brand name...they taste better. I also used my Pampered Chef 2 inch deep dish pie plate for this recipe. You could probably half the recipe and use a regular pie plate instead. Or use some other deep, round casserole dish instead. If you have any questions, please email me.

Chicken Pot Pie

1 lb. skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup sliced celery and/or 1 large diced potato
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teas. salt
1/4 teas. black pepper
1 teas. garlic powder
1 (14oz) can of chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
2 (9 inch) unbaked, refrigerated pie crusts

Preheat oven to 425 F.

In a saucepan, combine cubed chicken, sliced carrots, celery and diced potato. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.

In the same saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Using a whisk, slowly stir in chicken broth and milk and stir constantly as sauce begins to thicken. Add in can of soup. Add in chicken mixture and thoroughly combine. Set aside.

To prepare pie plate, line bottom with 1 softened pie crust. Add in frozen peas to the chicken mixture just before pourly the mixture into the pie plate. Pour in chicken mixture. Line the top with the other pie crust. Cut off excess, seal the edges and crimp. Poke several holes on top of the crust to prevent the build up of steam while baking. Place pot pie in preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown. If pie starts to turn brown quickly, lay a piece of tin foil (shiny side up) over the top of it to prevent the crust from burning. After baking, remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

1 comment:

A Blogging Babcock said...

It looks so good. I'm going to try your recipe next time.

I totally agree on using the brand name shells. I think it makes a difference.