Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Banana Cake

Monkeys will be jealous when they see you eating this cake (if you happen to be eating it in front of monkeys that is). I found this recipe through another site and after seeing it's reviews, I decided to try it. I was surprised by the recipe at first. For two reasons, one because the amounts were a little off to me. I noticed there was no egg and that the amount of flour would not be enough to keep the cake from being runny. I also notice that lemon juice was in the recipe and after seeing how the cake came out, I believe it was to help the bananas from turning brown when baked. I've never had a light colored banana bread before. And I believe that helped with it's color. Also, when making this, I wondered how the cake's density would turn out. If it would be more of a light cake or more of a dense banana bread. Let's just say it's BOTH! A pleasant perfect medium. So with my additions and adjustments, I came up with this recipe.

Banana Cake
1/2 cup shortening, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teas. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teas. baking soda
1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 teas. lemon juice
1 container of vanilla flavored frosting
Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until smooth. Add egg. Stir in milk and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir into the sugar mixture. Mix in mashed banana, lemon juice and walnuts (if desired). Spread evenly into prepared baking pan.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before frosting and cutting. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Andrew said...

That looks very yummy. I love banana. Thanks for the recipe. I'm so glad you are doing a recipe blog. YEAH!
Jamie B.

A Blogging Babcock said...

Courtney, TJ and I made the banana cake/bread tonight. It was really, really good. I was nervous because I was worried it would be too much like cake and banana cake just doesn't sound appealing to me. I had to leave out the lemon juice because I didn't have any and we also put the batter in cup cake liners. They baked up beautifully and it was so nice to have the bake for only 25 minutes as opposed to a lot longer when it is "real" banana bread. The middles were are all baked as well. I hate how banana bread has a hard time baking in the middle (at least mine does.) I thought they were heavy enough for it to feel like it was still bread. In fact, they were so good we didn't even use icing.