Saturday, November 1, 2008

Cheesy Vegetable Soup

Our local grocery store has been making these pumpkin bread bowls and selling them in their bakery department. I couldn't pass them up and knew I had to find a yummy cream-type soup to put inside them. Last month, we had a potluck dinner at work and one of my co-workers, Nina, made a delicious, creamy soup with cheese and vegetables. It was so good, we all asked for the recipe. I knew this was the soup for these cute pumpkin bread bowls. This recipe can easily be made in the crockpot once the veggies are cooked. It also makes a lot, but the recipe can be cut in half too.

Cheesy Vegetable Soup

5 cups water
1/4 cup onion, minced
2 large potatoes, cubed into 1/2" squares
2 stalks of celery, sliced thin
3 chicken boullion cubes

Boil above ingredients in a large pot for 8-10 minutes.

Add:
2 (16 oz.) pkgs. frozen broccoli, cauliflower & carrot mix, thawed and cut into smaller pieces

Boil for 5 minutes more

Stir in:
2 cans Cream of Chicken soup, undiluted
2 cans creamed corn
1 lb. pkg. Velveeta Cheese, cut into 1" cubes

Keep stirring until melted. If soup is too thin, add some instant potato flakes to thicken. If the soup is too thick, add a can of chicken broth. If using a crockpot, set on Low and warm for 2-3 hours.

4 comments:

Alisha said...

Julie...where did you get the pumpkin bread bowls? I want some!!!

Unknown said...

That looks absolutely delicious!!

Woodruff Family said...

Thanks for sharing this blog. Awesome idea and great recipes!

Joseph and Katie said...

Julie,
I am a friend of Jen McArthurs and she told me about your cooking blog. I have enjoyed blurking here a few times and now I am finally telling you.
This recipe says total comfort food to me! Especially in the fall. Anyway, I hope you don't mind, but I think I will continue to come visit. You have great ideas! Thank you!