Saturday, July 19, 2008

Panang Curry over Rice

A few months ago some friends and I went out for dinner at a Thai restaurant here in town called Benja's Thai. This was our first time eating there and we loved it! Later, I decided that would be a great place to go again for our anniversary. Kerry and I had the same dishes my friends and I had earlier. And he loved them! Well, in my quest to try to recreate recipes that I try in restaurants, the hunt for the right ingredients began... In my research online, I discovered that some of the ingredients weren't available in most grocery stores and would need to be purchased in a speciality store. So I gave up hope in making it on my own. Well guess what? Little did I know that I was going to find this wonderful jar of already made Panang Curry in my grocery store's Asian section. Along with this jar of Chili Garlic Sauce...


I was so excited to try out my new discovery! The premade curry sauce made this recipe very simple to put together. In the time I was steaming rice, I was able to chop the veggies, add the two sauces, heat and dinner was ready in about 25-30 minutes.

(A Rick "warning"... no mushrooms on this guy's plate!)

Panang Curry over Rice

2 cups of chopped veggies, sauteed in skillet
1/2 lb. chicken, cubed (or shrimp)
1 jar of Thai Kitchen Panang Curry
1 teas. Chili Garlic sauce
Precooked rice, warm and ready to eat

The directions to this recipe is located on the back of the bottle of curry sauce. I used carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, and broccoli with chicken. You may also use: bell peppers, onions, potatoes, etc...

Once the meat and the veggies are cooked, add both sauces and heat till warmed. Pour mixture over warmed rice and serve.

Notes: The sauce should be runny and there should also be a little more sauce than veggies. That's the typical way it was presented to us at the restaurant. Also, they asked us what level of "heat" we wanted our dish to be. So if you would like to taste the red chilies more in your dish, then add more of the chili garlic sauce.

1 comment:

Ira and Jen said...

Yeah! I'm so excited to try this recipe. We LOVE Benja too, but I'm just not as creative as you are to figure out how to make it. I think I can handle this though!! Thanks for sharing. Jen